Sarcee Meadows has been a well-established community since 1971 and is one of the largest housing co-operatives in Canada.
Sarcee Meadows is a non-profit continuing housing cooperative. “Non-profit” means – no one profits from living in SMHC.
Members will continue to manage the co-op for its lifetime. The shares are passed on from outgoing members to the incoming members – thus the term “continuing”. Currently, the share price is $2,900.00.
Community development is one of the best aspects of living in the co-op. The building of a community that is a special place to live brings with it considerable rewards. Benefits include the following:
- security of tenure – you don’t have to worry about SMHC being sold and you’ll have to leave; if your financial circumstances change, you will not lose your home, and you may qualify for housing charge assistance.
- anti-inflationary payments – housing charges may increase – we are not immune to inflation, however, there is no profit increase and so the housing charge increases are moderate.
- your housing charge includes – property taxes, insurance on the building, utilities [except cable and telephone], one parking stall with a plug-in, maintenance and administration services, housing charge life insurance, recycling services, membership in Rutland Park community association, carpets cleaned approximately every two years as well as money for reserve funds.
- the opportunity to have a say in what happens in SMHC.
- educational opportunities – participation allows for building skills and personal growth.
- freedom to create individuality in your home – within the established guidelines.
- good atmosphere to raise children in a sense of protection and security.
It is situated in southwest Calgary, in the community of Rutland Park, with access to all amenities such as schools, shopping, churches, Mount Royal University, Glenmore Park, bus service and easy access to downtown. Its 35-acre site offers spacious surroundings in a park-like setting. The complex is made up of 380 units that consist of 2, 3, and 4-bedroom townhouses.