Sarcee Meadows has been a well-established community since 1971 and is one of the largest housing co-operatives in Canada.
Sarcee Meadows is a non profit continuing housing co-operative. “Non-profit” means – no one profits from living in SMHC.
Members will continue to manage the co-op for its lifetime. The shares are passed on from outgoing members to incoming member – thus the term “continuing”. Currently the share price is $2,200.00.
Community development is one of the best aspects of living in the co-op. The building of a community that is a special place to live brings with it considerable rewards. Benefits include the following:
- security of tenure – you don’t have to worry about SMHC being sold and you’ll have to leave; if your financial circumstances change, you will not lose your home, you may qualify for housing charge assistance.
- anti-inflationary payments – housing charges may increase – we are not immune to inflation, however, there is no profit increase and so the housing charge increases are moderate.
- your housing charge includes – property taxes, insurance on the building, utilities [except cable and telephone], one parking stall with a plug-in, maintenance and administration services, housing charge life insurance, recycling services, membership in Rutland Park community association, carpets cleaned approximately every two years as well as money for reserve funds.
- the opportunity to have a say in what happens in SMHC.
- educational opportunities – participation allows for building skills and personal growth.
- freedom to create individuality in your home – within the established guidelines.
- good atmosphere to raise children in a sense of protection and security.
It is situated in southwest Calgary, in the community of Rutland Park, with access to all amenities such as: schools, shopping, churches, Mount Royal University, Glenmore Park, bus service and easy access to downtown. Its 35-acre site offers spacious surroundings in a park-like setting. The complex is made up of 380 units that consist of 2, 3, and 4 bedroom townhouses.